I'm a certified Web Accessibility Specialist, currently working full-time as an Interaction Designer for dxw making the web a better, more inclusive place. I code, write and speak publicly about web accessibility, user research, performance and front-end technologies.
- Accessibility-first approach to website design
- Conducting accessibility audits: manual testing with screen readers and automated tools like AXE and Lighthouse
- Working in teams with tools including Slack, Trello and good old fashioned speaking to each other: face-to-face or by video call!
- Agile-based workflow and time estimations
Before transitioning into the web industry I studied for four years at Brunel University London: completing a BSc in Multimedia Technology & Design. Over the past ten years I've helped deliver websites for a variety of clients in the private and public sectors.
Working as a multidisciplinary agile team with GDS Publishing to improve their Access and Permissions platform to be more accesssible.
- Prototyping with GOV.UK Design System coded toolkit and Figma
- Work closely alongside user researcher to better understand user needs
- Accessibility training through creating and organising regular workshops
- Accessibility audits with axe DevTools
- Testing with screen readers including VoiceOver, TalkBack and NVDA
- Advocating accessibility best practices and culture across organisation
Passed the WAS exam following years of experience in accessibility and usability testing along with extensive study of Web accessibility best practices.
- Usability testing with assistive technology in macOS, iOS, Android and Windows environments.
- Understanding of WCAG and ATAG Standards
- Web accessibility auditing and remediation
- Knowledge of implementing and testing valid ARIA
A multidisciplinary role within the GovPress team of dxw, supporting and developing sites for the public and third sectors using WordPress CMS.
- I designed and developed a bespoke platform to deliver HTML-based accessibility reports, outlining accessibility issues and how to fix them.
- Auditing websites through an automated and manual accessibility testing workflow.
- WordPress, HTML, CSS, Scss, jQuery, Vanilla Js, PHP, Figma
WordPress along with other CMS development and integration for clients. Internally, I helped improve the overall approach of the company’s project management: helping introduce an agile workflow to the business and better understanding of user-focused needs.
- Integration with WordPress / Laravel / Magento / ExpressionEngine
- Version control all projects through GitLab
- Environment and build tools including use of Grunt, Gulp, Webpack and Node packages
- Design tools including CC Photoshop, Illustrator and Affinity Designer
- HTML, CSS, Scss, jQuery, Vanilla Js, VueJs, PHP
- Here I built up foundational knowledge of core front-end skills and template integration on their in-house CMS.
- Later I helped steer the company towards responsive thinking and developing an in-house responsive framework for HTML/CSS and JS.
- I worked on websites including the charity Blesma, Wagamama, EC Harris, Ella’s Kitchen and the portfolio site of entrepreneur Peter Jones. I also wrote informative articles for their blog.
FIRST CLASS HONOURS AWARD WITH PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Awarded Brunel Excellence Scholarship for 2007-2011
- For my Final Year Project I researched and developed a mobile application for use in museums and art galleries. As part of this research I liaised with a number of museums including the Ashmolean, Oxford. I implemented the technical side of it using Android SDK, programming with self-taught skills in Java and XML.
- Design and development of educational microsites for clients including Warner Brothers, Pathé International and CinemaNX.
- Contributed to the design and development of web and CD-ROM based educational resources suitable for classroom learning activities.
- Triple Distinction
- Awarded Business & IT Student of the Year
Talks, publication & exhibition
Public speaking engagement at WP Accessibility Day
Public speaking engagement at Front-End London
Public speaking engagement at London Web Standards
Homebrew Website Club
Organiser of bi-weekly meetup for maintaining your own website and creating open-source tools for the web.
Made in Brunel & New Designers
Exhibited a cultural heritage platform for museums, art galleries and exhibitions developed for my university Final Year Project.