This will be a collaborative session in which we plan out and discuss ways to improve the user experience of existing websites through progressively enhancing them to become comparable to a native app, or even, better than a native app!
I’ll be introducing some common characteristics of PWAs such as:
- Availabilty offline/poor quality connections (utilising ServiceWorkers)
- Discoverability in search engines (via Manifest)
- Re-engagement through push notifications
- Installability adding a home screen icon
A few topics of conversation that might arise from this process could include:
- To what extent do the UI features of your PWA match those of the user’s platform versus a separately designed UI?
- Should you convert the entire website into a PWA or keep a separate version to serve desktop users?
- What UI features of native apps would you like …and could feasibly incorporate into a PWA?
I hope from this session that together we learn what benefits, limitations and challenges there are in designing PWAs.